Tooth decay and gum disease are two serious and dangerous dental conditions that need to be prevented at all costs. But how do you possibly prevent these issues? Well, our Smiles Dental team is more than happy to tell you how! You can prevent tooth decay and gum disease by fighting plaque. Plaque is a white, sticky film that clings to your teeth and alters your oral health. The best ways to prevent this occurrence is to:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. It’s best to brush for two minutes at a time and thoroughly scrub each tooth.
- Use a product of your choice and floss your smile once a day. Flossing will remove the plaque that grows between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth daily with mouthwash. Rinsing can complete the smile-cleaning job and can also freshen your breath.
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet. Doing so will keep your chompers strong and reliable. Please stay away from sugary or starchy foods as much as possible.
- When you clean your smile each day, make sure you use oral hygiene products that have been approved by the American Dental Association. These products will safely and effectively clean your oral cavity.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or once your toothbrush bristles have become frayed.
- Attend your dental cleanings every six months. This is very important because dental cleanings are the only treatments that will completely remove the plaque from your smile.
Call 360.464.9797 today if you would like to know more about plaque prevention in Tumwater, Washington! Our dentist, Dr. Melody Pongmanopap, and our dental team care about you and your oral health, which is why we are here to help you whenever you need it. So, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are more than happy to help you!